PROJECT: Competition


This is the last project of the first term, the competition one. We are asked to join a competition from the list. After struggling for time, I picked opera one.

The briefing is:

The Royal Opera House and AKA, the international entertainment marketing agency, are challenging you to create a campaign that will encourage culturally engaged young people aged 20-30 to experience opera for the first time.

You need to show how your idea will work as an advertising campaign – across digital, print, out of home and social media advertising .



Actually, I haven't think about this project carefully at the beginning, I picked this only because I'm always interested in things related to music, Opera is one of this type. And I really want to draw something depend on this theme, even though I found the final is quite complicated to complete for an Illustrator (it's kind of like graphic design's field).

Anyway, I chose the Opera theme, so, I began to do any image research about it.

Firstly I just search its account on Pinterest or Instagram. Found lots of images from each aspect.

The BALLET part really wants to draw the dancing person,  maybe it may not be used in the final, but  I was enjoying doing the drawing. 





The DANCER part, as well as the stage & prop design. I believe it's also an important session for the opera art.




The COSTUME part. It's another significance session as well.



Then, I began to do the research about opera. Luckily, My father used to play the instrument in the theatre for the opera many years ago. He was quite familiar with these operas. I tried to search information about every famous classic opera through ages.

FAUST


CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA



CARMEN


TURANDOT



TOSCA



MADAMA BUTTERFLY



LA BOHEME



AIDA



LA TRAVIATA


RIGOLETTO



OTELLO



II BARBIERE DI SIVIGLIA



DIE ZAUBERFLOTE



THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO




ROYAL OPERA HOUSE
I passed by this building lots of times, but this time I went there with the special intention of doing research for the project.



This time I tried to spend time just stayed there and watch people who went to see the opera.
Actually, It was quite different from I prediction, the audience includes all ages, and of course, young teenagers went there as well. Therefore I had the question about the problem in the briefing.
I made a survey 'What do you think about Opera' to youth around 20, in order to find out the truth.

Actually, I didn't give this to people, I just asked them, then I set up their words and came with the conclusion, and wrote them down.


So after did lots of researches of many famous classic operas, I wanted to make a drawing(or some drawings), tried to include each opera. Therefore, I picked the main characters of each opera. And drew them together.


*12 opera characters

I had also done research about how each character looks like, how their wear or their emotion, action.
And in addition, tried to include the elements of the ROH's brandmark into my drawings.





coloured them.




Put these together.



This was my first idea, about using the characters to express each opera features.I've been thinking about how it could be shown in a campaign, like how it looks like on website. I tried to draw the simple, little avatars of each character.
If on a website page, people can access the page of the opera through clicking the little avatar, to see the whole opera's introduction and information.

I finished the drawings in Photoshop, used the colours from the characters I drew before, in order to unify those work, to make them like a series.

So far, I have finished the drawings of this session of characters, then I just need to figure out how to use them in an advertising campaign.

*narrative drawings-TOSCA

This was from the official website of ROH. I found 'TOSCA' is showed on ROH from 9.Jan-5.Feb.2016.Therefore, I came up with another idea, the narrative idea.
Maybe because, as an illustration student, always interested in the 'story' part. Always want to draw the narrative illustrations.

The 'TOSCA' happened to have 3 acts, I intended to draw 3 images, chose 3 characters in each act as the main character in every image.

1
Inside the church of San'Andrea Della Valle'
Cesare Angelotti
Sacristan
Scarpia
Mario Cavaradossi
Floria Tosca



2
Scarpia's apartment in the Palazzo Farness, that evening.
Scarpia
Tosca
Cavaradossi
Angelotti




3
The upper parts of the Castel Sant'Andelo
Tosca
Cavaradossi
Scarpia
Soldiers




*design a campaign
Then, I started to think about the campaign session. I did the design based on the template in the official  ROH document provide.

Final,my design.

Cause my idea was about characters. I used the avatars I drew as a 'link' to the website, people can access the specific opera they are interested in through clicking the avatars.

How it looks like on website:





Tickets:




Posters:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEGREE SHOW: The Niveous Deer

PROJECT: LBS-London Experience

ROTATION:Reportage

PROJECT: Fiction

PROJECT: 2060

PROJECT: Selling Yourself

ROTATION:Editorial

COURSE PROJECT: Play-Learn——History of Money

EXTERNAL PROJECT: The story in the forest